WHAT SHOULD MY KIDS DO ALL DAY WHILE STUCK AT HOME?
This is a hot topic right now. My emails are overflowing with requests for ideas. My standard advice for developing brains is to allow your kids to be bored, and allow them to play in ways they haven’t played in years. Building forts, creating their own games + songs, conducting homemade experiments. But while cooped up for the foreseeable future, and trying to work while educating our kids, that advice only goes so far.
Start by encouraging your children to be KIND while together at home, and foster a sense of responsibility, helpfulness, independence, and gratitude with these simple ideas on this GAALS + PAALS Kindness Calendar – Click Here to Download
Enjoy FREE LESSONS/CLASSES + PRINTABLES for kids (and families) to keep busy for months. Let’s hope we aren’t home for that long!
- Kids Yoga lessons by Cosmic Kids that focuses on balance and strength. Length 2 mins to 1 hour.
- Kids fitness and yoga routines by Stretch and Grow of the Rockies – akids health and wellness enrichment company
- Dance-along videos on the Kidz Bop YouTube channel
- Virtual dance parties on Instagram by Mark Kanemura, a former backup dancer with Lady Gaga and contestant on “So You Think You Can Dance”
Art + Creativity
- Illustration prompts on Instagram by Illustrator Carson Ellis
- Finish a comic or drawing with silly ideas by Jarrett Lerner
- Simple Recipes Using Pantry Staples
like rice, grains, dried beans and legumes. Easy enough for kids and families to make!
- Singalongs by number of children’s musicians
- Instructional videos in many subjects by Khan Academy
- Video lessons and series by top educators, made into animated videos for kids by Ted-ed
- Online resources including 20 days of lessons for grades pre-K to 9 and up to three hours of lessons a day by Scholastic learn-at-home
- Advanced Placement class learning and test prep for high schoolers by Fiveable
- Streaming lessons for grades K-5 and downloadable STEM activities by Hand2Mind
- Live online classes in small groups by Outschool
- Tools for bilingual education and geography by Encantos Learning Hub
- Daily workbooks for Pre-K through high school by Ed Helper
- Science lessons by Mystery Science
Entertainment (watching, listening, reading)
- Watch LIVE Animal Videos
Pick an animal – elephants, hippos, lions, monkeys – and you’ll likely find it here. From African to Alaskan animals and everything in between.
- List of the best documentaries for kids by Commonsense media.
- Audiobooks for children of all ages by Audible
- List of shows about cooking and travel
- virtual field trips and classes
- Time for Kids digital library
- virtual hug from Elmo by Sesame Street
Printables + Worksheets with Activities